sunnuntai 22. lokakuuta 2017

Challenge 9- go to a Czech aerobics/ yoga class

When I was a kid I hated all forms of exercise. I was the problematic child in P.E. class who would not move her ass to the filed to play any game. I just sat next to the wall and sulked. I hated floorball, I hated baseball and especially, I hated all the stupid winter sports. I continued my anti-exercise lifestyle until mid-twenties, more specifically, until I went to South Korea to do my internship. I worked for the embassy, and most of my duties were performed on computer. It was the first time for me to notice how sore and stiff the body can feel after 8 hours if diligently sitting.

OK, I hated exercise but something had to be done. I happened to walk past a pilates yoga studio and after a couple of days of deep contemplation I went there and joined the studio. I started going to pilates and belly dance regularly. I dropped out of the belly dance class quite soon because I have zero aptitude fr dancing. It is impossible for me to move my hands and legs at the same time to a certain rhythm. But pilates and yoga had come to stay. It didn't bother me that the classes were in Korean. I understood enough to know if I was supposed to move my hands or legs, and how. I understood if I was supposed to inhale or exhale and if I was doing something too weird, the teacher came to instruct me in English.

I returned to Finland and did yoga at home, then I went to work in Poland and my company sponsored the employees a multisport card which was widely accepted by the gyms. I started going to aerobics, yoga and the gym. Never mind the language barrier or anything. When I finally found some forms of exercise I can honestly say I like, the body has been feeling much better. When I first started yoga it felt like I will never be flexible, never be able to go to all those positions that require stretch. But believe me, you'll become more flexible in a matter of weeks. Or even better, try and see for yourself!

I didn't do any sports when I was living in Australia, except for that month or so I was living in Cairns and used to go for a morning run. I had a physical job after which I was too tired to exercise, but the advantage of Australia is the weather. The weather is good most of the time, so if I wanted to exercise, I just went outdoors. Not many places have that advantage. (I will not go outside in the winter. NO. Winter is useless and cold.)

When I was working in Poland I once wrote on the wall "sitting kills". (Note: it was a wall for innovations, text could be written on it and then erased.) I had read an article about sedentary jobs and how they destroy our health. Sitting is contemporary smoking. While it is acknowledged that smoking has decreased, but office workers suffer from various health problems that are blamed on sitting too much. It is said that sitting makes a person more prone to have diabetes, heart attack, or just to be obese, to name but a few risks. The most pessimistic researchers also warn us that the damage caused to health by sitting 8 hours a day cannot be undone by a morning walk or going to the gym after work.

Despite that, I was happy to notice that participating in a yoga class was one of my challenges. I practice yoga at home almost daily with the help of YouTube videos, but I might be doing the positions wrong. It would be fun to go to a real yoga class with a teacher that is actually present there. I purchased 3 classes, 99 crowns each. Last Thursday, to celebrate my short holiday, I went to the first class, vinyasa flow. The class was in English as most of the participants did not speak Czech.

Vinyasa flow was excellent. I usually go for the slow, more meditative practices at home so it was so much fun to go to a class and sweat properly. Today I will go to power yoga after which I'm sure my legs are shaking so badly I cannot walk to the subway station.

After my holidays I plan to take my person to the gym. Maybe it cannot safe me from sitting, but at least it must be better than doing nothing.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti