tiistai 8. marraskuuta 2016

A woman in the world of men

That's the conclusion after serious discussions with Anna. Too many men everywhere. In the last post I introduced you the life of an immigrant woman, so now it's time to explore the fascinating world of immigrant men. This is an outsider's opinion, of course.

There are more men here in the hostel than there are women. It has something to do with the guys' inability to find shared rooms. (Says the woman who hasn't even started looking for one yet. It could be that I am a man after all myself). Sometimes the kitchen feels more like a military base than a kitchen. When I came home from work I noticed with a sinking feeling that the amount of men in our room had doubled. We are 50:50 now. Before we have always had more girls. Makes me hope the guys are only visiting us, not staying forever.

Well, then the life of immigrant men. As I said before, immigrant women perform the low paid, unskilled jobs always smiling and being happy. In the same situation the men sit in the kitchen sour as hell, complaining about having too much work, too little money and the boss in an a-hole. In addition, the conversations always include the usual topics, like soccer, drinking beer and amusing women. In the night they can't sleep because there's always this party or that party to attend and in the morning life appears quite grey and uninteresting again. In one expression, it sucks. And these guys don't even have their gender against them like women do. Plus there's sexism everywhere. If the ladies are watching telly and there's even one guy with us, another guy wanting to change the channel will invariably consult the other man. Who cares about what the ladies want. The closest man to them can speak for them any time.

If you cannot have a man-free zone at home, you are not much better off in the public places either. One of these days I was in the library, quietly minding my own business, when a 40+ guy suddenly asked me out. He tried to pick me up from the library for God's sake! He asked all the usual questions, like where I am from , what I'm doing here etc. Spoke to me in Finnish as that must be the fastest way to score. I tried to be as vague as I could, told him my friend assumes I will be going to our home with her, so I cannot go out today. He was persistent and suggested drinks later this week. Now I saw it fit to create an imaginary, extremely jealous Russian lover called Andrey, who doesn't really like to share me with other men, for the obvious reasons. I thought the new dude would leave me alone after this but no, he wanted to know if I met Andrey in Tinder. I told no, I went out and there was Andrey waiting for me. Who on Earth needs tinder anyway when you can't even feel safe in the library. I'm tired of the other gender, except for Andrey, he is a dear. Never wants me to do things I don't want to do.



Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti