torstai 20. lokakuuta 2016

Thursday is full of hope

I've been planning for a week already to book my return flight to Europe but as I am not very productive, nothing got done. Today I suddenly received a call from an agency through which I applied for a job weeks ago. They wanted to know if I'd be interested in one day assignment. Apparently there is a big pile of junk at the airport that needs some attention and backpackers are welcome to the job.

I decided to go. It would be handy to have some money especially after noticing, with great pleasure, today that I couldn't withdraw money from my account. The ATM just spit the card out. Great. It's not that I don't have any money, it's not that my card has expired. I chatted with a representative of my bank and he assured me the card is otherwise OK, it just doesn't work very well. It hasn't been inactivated because of hefty foreign withdrawals either. Why is it that I can't use my own money the way I want to use it? Apparently the ATM wasn't working. Anna gave me 10 dollars when she left for work so that I will survive through the night. I couldn't ask for a better friend.

After the financial crisis I went to the library to take care of all the paperwork I need to do before I can start working at the airport and got so frustrated with all the possible numbers and codes and stuff and super payments and what else. I printed all 12 pages of the registration form they wanted me to complete because -of course- I couldn't edit it on computer. There I sat, swearing and writing my details over and over again. It was ten to six when I dashed to the library to scan the documents so I could send them to the agency but the librarian didn't let me scan because I didn't have enough time, and tomorrow the libraries will be closed. Of course he was a he. Earlier today another he didn't allow me to use the library internet for a Skype call even though all other forms of speech seem to be acceptable there. But not Skype, no. What the hell is wrong with them? The ladies in the library are perfectly OK, they even try to help you occasionally. Today one of them scanned my passport for me because she thought it would be easier for me that way. 


And then, finally, we ran out of toilet paper. The hostel office is closed and there isn't enough left of that 10 dollars Anna gave me to buy a lollipop in this overpriced country. In addition, our nice (but very messy) Indonesian girl moved out this morning and we got another man instead. A man I already once rescued from the corridor because he didn't happen to have the key with him. But who am I to criticize him, I don't happen to have any money. Have a lovely Thursday, everyone! 

PS. Thursday is full of hope is a common Finnish expression. Actually, I don't know why we say it or what it actually means. Just to let you know. 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti