perjantai 14. lokakuuta 2016

The End of Dreams

Everyone needs something to dream of, something to plan. It doesn't need to be serious, doesn't need to be 100% achievable. Actually, I think dreams might be the only thing that make it possible to achieve anything. For the one who doesn't dream, most things are unattainable, but the moment they start to dream of something, it becomes possible. Suddenly opportunity knocks at every door.


When I was studying, I dreamed of an exchange period abroad and got to go to South Korea. Then I dreamed of an interesting internship and got to go back to South Korea. After graduation I wanted to work abroad and I did just that. And all the time while I was working, I dreamed of coming to Australia. Australia was my motivation to get up in the morning, the reason to suffer through the boring days in the office, through the difficult months in Poland, the rainy autumn in Ireland. Dreams improve, if not the world, at least the quality of one's own life.

I'm in Australia now and I was devastated to notice I don't have any dreams left. I have achieved everything I ever wanted for myself, every dream that was at least somewhat realistic to start with has come true. I mean, it would be terrific to win the lottery without ever even buying the coupon but that's not very realistic, right? I never planned the time after Australia, I had some vague ideas of returning to Finland, finding a job, traveling in Europe and then going to New Zealand and and.. and what? Those simple thoughts do not a dream make. They do not have any substance, they are not clear, there's no theme. They are not enough to keep me motivated, focused and interested.

I wandered in Chinatown today, worried sick of the lack of dreams, the sudden turn to worse life had taken. Where do people get the dreams from? Where do the dreams come from? Why does it seem that earlier dreams just appeared in my thoughts, and stayed there? They were crystal clear, persistent. Or does it just feel like that? I am deceiving myself, making myself believe dreams are something easy to find? Was the dream of Australia originally an unclear, feeble thought I returned to every time I needed to mentally escape from the boredom and cruelty called the reality (which was shockingly often)?


Should I just decide to grow a new dream, like one grows a tree? If I just decide that I want to, for example, travel through the US, then return to this thought 10 times a day, will I be convinced that is all I ever wanted to do? Will the dream finally have staying power, will it replace the dream of Australia? Maybe the mind is a bit gullible, maybe you can fool it to believe this dream is true, a valid first class dream in its own right? Maybe I should start watching inspiring travel documents to get new ideas. Tell me, where to find dreams? Can you buy them at the Christmas fair or something? 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti