lauantai 25. maaliskuuta 2017

How I lost my sense of humor

I've been in Australia for 11 months now and this year has without any doubt been the most interesting year of my life. I've learned a lot about people but even more about myself. I'm more understanding towards other people after seeing many different lifestyles, many different problems. On the other hand I've met selfish, disgusting and unworthy people and I am more cynical and hate people more than ever. Living in a hostel can get very tiring from time to time and sometimes I feel so tired having people around me all the time that I would just like to be mean to everyone, on purpose. It would be nice to be able to say that this trait only surfaces when I'm unwell but unfortunately the fact is that I was born mean and ill-spirited and since teenage years have made reasonable effort to hide my true character. I'm not even that unwell anymore. The sick eye is almost normal but I'm still mean.

Anna will leave Sydney next week and to my utter horror I noticed that she is effectively my only friend in Sydney. In all these 6 months I've been here I haven't been able to make one single friend here. I have another friend here, yes, but I already knew her in Finland, so I have badly failed the mission of making new friends. When it comes to friends I've always thought that quality beats quantity any day but in this kind of situations my principle fails a bit. Actually I noticed that throughout my life I've usually had one, maximum two, good friends with whom I spend most of my time. Now it seems like I will spend a solitary, quiet month in the hostel without anyone to talk to after work. At the same time I feel like that my interest towards meeting people is zero. I'm tired of having people around me all the time and I'm so not going to invest my precious time here trying to make new friends who are most likely only going to stay in my life for the short period of time I still have left in Sydney. Luckily I have my trip to Asia to plan, that will keep my mind occupied. I've already booked my flight to Vietnam, that'll be 29 of April. I'll stay in Saigon for around one week and then probably head to Singapore, Malaysia and finally end up in Bangkok where I will catch my flight to Helsinki. I decided to pay extra for comfort and booked a slightly more expensive direct flight to Finland. Plus, it's Finnair and I can be sure the service is good.

A week ago I told my boss I will be leaving in the end of April. It made me kind of happy that my co-workers seemed to be genuinely sorry that I'll leave. Many of them asked if I could extend my visa but that's not possible. I'm sad to leave my job, too. First time in a couple of years I have a job I actually love. Now someone might think it's not normal to love ironing but I do. Besides, my job has been the only normal thing in my life during my stay in Sydney, the only place not full of backpackers, the only place where life is not full of booze and parties. I've always been somewhat against that kind of lifestyle and here I'm more sure than ever that I made the right choice, saying no to alcohol and parties. What's the point to go to the other end of the world if you'll just go there to drink beer? That can be accomplished at home too, and at a lower cost.

I'd like to spend the summer in Finland, doing some simple summer job and try to find my sense of humor that I seem to have lost during my travels. Then when the autumn comes, I'd like to head back to some warm, nice location without the risk of snow and frost. If anyone knows a place where they need a motivated summer help, let me know :)


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti