sunnuntai 12. maaliskuuta 2017

A foreign language is only foreign in the beginning

All the time something interesting is happening in this house, there is not a single weekend without an incident. Last night we had a thief coming over. He left took laptops, passports and in addition some random stuff like our kettle, garbage bags and detergent liquid in a handy spray bottle. Apparently the thief lives in a messy household and decided to fix the problem not by going to Coles and buyng cleaning equipment but coming to the closest hostel and leaving with everything that he was able to conveniently carry with him. The incident is being investigated and the house is full of private detectives.

I have a long list of posts I wanted to write and today's topic is studying languages. As I have mentioned before, in Finland it's mandatory to study at least 2 languages and even the ones that hated Swedish at school are usually well able to say ”jag är 16 år gammal” even though they have aged quite a lot since those days.
In Australia I decided to study some new, exotic language that is not offered by language schools in Finland. I chose Vietnamese because Vietnam interests me as a country and as a culture. If I could choose my field of study without thinking about finding employment and earning money I would study historical comparative linguistics, specializing on Asiatic languages such as Chinese, Japanese, Korean, Vietnamese etc and how they still reflect the cultural, political and commercial ties between the nations. But let's put that aside now. When I started the course I noticed that the automatic assumption was that people participating in the course either have Vietnamese background or a Vietnamese spouse. I think I am the only odd one out. Duh, what's the point of studying the native language of a guy who is surely only going to stay in my life for a month or so (sorry, the compulsory cynical insert!) I guess I am the only one who wants to study languages because of the joy of being able to communicate in another language, to see the world in a slightly different light.

When I told people I want to start studying Vietnamese, I often heard the pessimistic comment that it's not going to benefit me in any way to know some Vietnamese. What do you mean by that? I want to go to Vietnam for my holidays and it's going to make my life a bit easier if I can at least read the menu by myself. And secondly, how do I know what's going to happen in the future? Anything is possible. When I still lived at home and ironed our family's laundry because my mother hates ironing I never thought it's going to benefit me in any way to know how to iron well. Yet here I am, working in a laundry service and ironing loads and loads of laundry every day. Besides, why should everything we do actually financially benefit us? Learning something new has a mental benefit. It makes me happy, positive and increases my confidence. Hey, I can do this, I can read and speak Vietnamese! Plus, have you ever noticed how happy people usually become when you try to utter even a simple sentence in their language? At least I feel happy if someone says ”kiitos” to me instead of thank you. It's a way of showing appreciation. I think learning a language widens the world view and helps to build understanding. Let's learn more languages! I want to learn Hebrew, Hindi, Spanish, Italian, Hungarian and many, many other languages. Just for fun. And learning languages gets easier the more you do it because you have a wider basic knowledge to rely on.


PS. My eye looks almost normal now! 

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti