lauantai 3. helmikuuta 2018

What is life like in Czech Republic

I recently remembered that I have a blog and I should write about something at last, but it is difficult to find anything to write about because, let's face it, life is boring me to tears right now. I don't have anything to tell except fairy tales and fantasy. In addition it is still winter (very unfortunately) and I cannot find motivation to do anything except huddle under a blanket and drink hot drinks. Sun has probably already died, at least it hasn't made an appearance recently. I didn't remember that winter is this depressing and long, and I cannot find anything good to say about it no matter how hard I try. Makes me wonder why did I ever leave sunny Queensland. Anyway, let's take a cup of coffee and talk a bit.
TV tower was not designed to be beautiful 
Let's leave winter aside, I wanted to write about what is life like in Prague. One thing that surprised me is Czech people's readiness to use English, especially on the service sector. Well, there is a lot of tourism here. Especially in restaurants and coffee shops it's no problem to find someone who speaks English. And even if they don't, friendly local people sometimes translate. Once I was stuck at the counter in a grocery store. I have company lunch vouchers on a "debit card" but the card is so clever it will know if I try to buy something that is not food. Usually the cashier will tell me some part of the payment was rejected and I will say in my nearly fluent Czech "other card" and pay the rest with my real debit card. But this time the cashier started to explain some sort of long story, could have been about her life, I didn't get anything. I tried to tell "other card" but got nowhere until another customer stepped in and explained the cashier I wanted to pay the rest from my account. Thank you, friendly people!

When I was moving into my apartment with 2 big pieces of luggage, I got stuck between the metro doors (yeah, it is possible). One suitcase was in the train, the other was on the platform and the doors kept biting me. Fellow passengers forced the doors to open, pulled my luggage and myself safely into the train and completely sympathized with my terrible experience of being harassed by a subway train.
Odd spot- Prague metronome
Lately I have been analyzing pretty much everything and everyone in my life, what I would like to do and what constitutes a "good life" for me. I haven been thinking whether I am a city person or a country girl. I believe I am more a city person because of the opportunities only cities can offer. More jobs, more culture, more hobbies. Recently I booked a ceramics class. I doubt I could have been able to find an English-speaking class outside of the city. Same goes for my Spanish class. But there is one thing I hate about city and that is that there is a queue everywhere. In our corner store. The aisles are really narrow and really packed. In a clothing store. At least 5 customers are pulling the same dress from the hanger. Living expenses are painfully high and it takes forever to get from point A to point B. And sometimes I just miss the peace and quiet of countryside. Maybe I will buy a vineyard in a Spanish village. You can always dream.
Things a city can offer- art galleries, museums, culture
And finally something bizarre and something scary. The scary thing is traffic, which is somewhat too aggressive for my tastes. Even in the city it seems to be compulsory to drive at least 100 kilometers per hour and naturally pedestrian crossing is just an empty word. I am scared. The bizarre and annoying thing is allowing dogs every-fucking-where. Even in restaurants, which is disgusting and ruins the appetite. Never mind dogs are said to be a man's best friend but they could wait outside. And why should they be allowed in shopping malls, it's not like they are going to buy anything anyway?


Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti