torstai 11. elokuuta 2016

I started with nothing and I have most of it left

I couldn't escape it after all, namely the gene that has caused hoarding disorder in most of my family members. Apparently settling down for one week activated the gene and I started accumulating different kind of objects. Like this morning, when I found a cooler bag in the kitchen with a note "it's yours", I took it literally. Why not? I also confiscated most of the edible goods inside the cooler bag. The nomad life has made me feel like a vulture descending on a road kill every time there's abandoned stuff available.

The paradox in this is that I've tried to avoid possessing too many things since I started traveling but it seems like I've got the hunter-gatherers' instincts to -well- gather things. It's difficult to fight it, so I take things "just in case it'll be needed". And please note that here I'm quoting about 99% of my relatives.

I justify my acquisitions because everything I've found here has been free. People chuck their stuff all the time when they're leaving. Also, I don't own that much at the moment, only one suitcase containing clothes and other necessities. (But it's a big suitcase.) Australia is expensive and you have to plan for the future, have to save for the rainy day. One of these days I might be able to sell the cooler bag for a couple of dollars..

But when I seriously considered washing and reusing a plastic lunch bag I understood that I should have my need for medication evaluated. The same goes for keeping an empty instant coffee jar. We kept the jar for a couple of days after finishing the coffee "just in case", before we finally agreed that it's never going to be useful and threw it to the bin. The very next day we found a broken box full of laundry powder and moaned "and we don't have the glass jar anymore!" In the end we put the laundry powder in an empty bag that used to contain quinoa. It's not heavy like the glass jar so all in all it was a good solution.



Then I started to collect books. It's an old sin of mine I've been committing since I was a child. People leave their poor books alone, abandoned, forgotten about. There they are, on the "free shelves" for anyone to take. It's not like I even want to read them all but hey, haven't you ever noticed how books manipulate people, often whispering things like "don't leave me here, I want to go to your home with you" in that gloomy, mournful voice only abandoned books have.

I have to leave some of the stuff behind, I can't help it. Even my big suitcase is not big enough to carry everything. I went to a flight center to ask how much one needs to pay for a flight to Brisbane and I also asked if the airlines allow a  30kg luggage.
"30kg, not a chance" was the short reply I got from the salesman (who, btw, had been living in Finland and asked me where I'm from in Finnish). After a moment he added: "Well, Jet Star might allow a 30kg luggage". We'll see.

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti