lauantai 11. huhtikuuta 2020

The quarantine diary

Greetings from living room. Corona virus has stopped everything except for coming of the spring but actually it has made my every day life much easier. How did that happen? Well..



1. I´m not losing 1,5 hours every working day to commute to the office in dirty, crowded, disgusting metro. I turn on my laptop, sit down and I am at work. Magic.

2. I don't feel so fed up when I need to cook. (But I still feel somewhat fed up because I simply hate cooking.) Usually after work and hobbies feeding ourselves is the last thing I want to think about but after I started working from home I have had more energy and more inspiration to cook nice meals. We haven't eaten this well in months.

But I am still waiting for the restaurants to open. Even though my rational mind does understand that we are the lucky ones in the food lottery of the world, being able to eat every time we are hungry and unfortunately even when we are not hungry, my emotional side prefers to eat food cooked by someone else.


3. No stress about schedules. I admit to feeling easily pressured by all the things that need to be done. Even though I am still spending more time to generate income than I would like to, it is easier to fit my actual life around work when I don't need to go to the office. And of course there is nowhere to go, no hobbies no nothing, because everything is closed. So after work the only place I visit is the grocery store. Finally I have time to read books and do crafts and watch movies with my partner. This new freedom is quite nice, almost like being at the summer cottage.



4. The noise, movement and restlessness of the open office doesn't wear me down. Yes, I am an introvert plus I am quite unsocial, I don't form friendships easily, especially not at work and I most certainly don't enjoy being surrounded by people. Working in the open office is a nightmare that unfortunately will probably not end before I retire, unless these corona viruses keep coming up every second year or so. And while I am happy that I can still work and keep earning my salary when so many people have lost their jobs either temporarily or permanently, I am also happy that the income keeps coming but I don't need to keep going to the office for it. If I could freely choose I would always work from home, I feel much better mentally and am less tired when the working environment is pleasant.

So there is a list of some positive effects of the lockdown on my personal life, even though there is nothing good about a deathly disease sweeping through the world and I am in no way trying to state that corona itself is positive. But some side effects of it are not entirely bad. And the nature is thankful while we are not going to places and buying things. ;)

Ei kommentteja:

Lähetä kommentti